Sunday, June 1, 2014

Quilters Choice Quilt Along

 BLOCK 6 CHURNDASH



MAY 5 OR BLOCK 5 BROKEN DISHES

With so many ways to have laid this block out I chose this sort of random one.
 
I was thinking of using just 4 fabrics for the colored (non dark blue background color) and arranging them to make a cool pattern of sorts. I finally decided to pick nine colors and just make individual squares of them.
 
I am pleased with my results!



APRIL 21 OR BLOCK 4 JACOBS LADDER

Well, so far I'm keeping up :) here is my version of the block. I love that I took the "risk" and chose the dark (navy) blue for the background fabric. I am really liking it.
 
This time we got to make a Jacob's Ladder block. I have actually never made one of these before and that really surprises me! Once again, it is a block that I can totally see making an entire quilt with some day.
 
Also, I am not sure if it was ever mentioned or not but I am curious about sashing?!?! It's on my mind as I select the complimentary fabrics to go with the background fabric. It may just have to be a what I feel like when it's time to cut it thing lol :)



April 7 or Block 3

votes were tallied and the winner was...
 
Rolling Stone :)
 
I really like this block! I did the corners without the recommended paper piecing and things came out great! Also, I wanted to try something "out of the box" for me with the blue background (so not white like usual) and I am pleasantly pleased with my results!
 
 I  am also thinking that this would also make a great scrap stash quilt some day too!!
 


March 24 or Block 2
 
And the votes were tallied and ....yep! another Bear Paw block for me lol! I am a real professional at this block now!! This being my 3rd this year :)
 


March 10 or Block 1

And here I go again... another super cute find that I just had to get into!! ...another quilt in the making.

At this point it could be winter forever and my family will be just fine in the warmth department!

But how do you turn them down! they are so cute and fun!!!

This time up I've discovered a quilt along that is not the typical neat sew this do this...we are taking votes for the next block and the block with the most votes wins!! I just love this idea! I feel so in on all the action lol!



It is over at Little Bunny Quilts. Blog owner Alison is pulling this all together...thank you Alison for being so super cool!!

The first block is called Sister's Choice and I think it is a darling block :)

The block has been adjusted in this QAL to make it work for a 12.5 block. I really didn't notice this adjustment until I was cutting my pieces and things were not "lining" up. Meaning that most of the time all the blocks in a "patch block" are the same size. Here, we have some that are a half inch smaller than others. Not a big deal just something to keep in mind when you are slicing up fabric.

It did take me some time to figure out what fabrics I wanted to use. I have decided to just go with what I have on the fabric shelf and see what happens...risky business! But no hard rules saying I can not go buy anything if I just can't figure it out :)

Here's hoping I can keep up the sewing momentum!!

Happy Sewing!
Melodee :)

1 comment:

Alison V. said...

I'd love to see a picture of all of your blocks together and share it on next week's block party post! If you can post a picture in Flickr or email it to me, that would be great!!