Thursday, April 25, 2013

AHHHCHOOO! tissue please

I was on Pinterest (where else right??) and saw the cutest picture of a fabric tissue holder. You know those cute little tissues that come in the ever so small but completely handy baggies...yeap those! so I pinned it :))

Well I just loved the idea and clicked the pin and guess what! no written tutorial for the thing :(

Pictures sure but no cut this and sew that kinda stuff. So, here I am! and what follows is my:

How I made a tissue holder to cutely hold a 8.6 inch x 8.3 inch baggie of tissues:


First you need to select and cut your fabrics BUT keep in mind which of these will be on the outside when all done and which will be the inside and small little trim parts you see on the tissue pull spot.


Once you have selected your desired fabric cut the outside piece 6 x 6.25 inches and the interior piece 6 x 7 inches. yes they are not even; we're doing this for a great reason!

 
Next, align both fabrics with right side together (pretty sides) along one of the 6 inch sides. We are going to sew a 1/4 inch seam.
 
 
 
 
Next, we will sew the other 6 inch side together making sure to keep that bulk of extra fabric out of the way.
 
 
This will create a pool of extra fabric on one side, this is good! we want this.
 

 
Now we turn this tube right sides out (pretty sides out) and get our tube ready to press the seams.
 
I like to turn my piece so that the seams are in the middle. And I find it easier to press my seams towards the interior (in this case the bigger (red) fabric). this helps with evening up on the next step.
 
 
Once you have your sides as even as you can get them I press that baby with tons of steam and get it as near flat as I can :) careful though, you don't want to stretch your fabric out of shape.
 


Now I fold the thing in half (trim ends together) and make a center crease.
 
 
Then I fold each of the edges in half meeting the trim piece to the center and pin in place. You don't want your edges to overlap but you do want them to be as close to each other as you can get.
 
 
I sew a 1/4 seam on both sides. I back tack to start and finish and I sew back and forth three times to really reinforce that center. You will be putting the most pressure at this point pulling those tissues out and you don't want anything to need fixing later on ;)


 
I then use my pinking shears and clean up those exposed frayed edges.

 
Finally, I  turn the case right sides out (pretty sides showing) and using a chop stick I poke the corners out and insert my tissues :) all done!
 
I sure hope my explanation does it for you. I tired to be as detailed as I could without going overboard with pictures and text. If you have any confusion please feel free to message me! I'd love to help!!
 
Until next time...happy sewing :)
 
Melodee
 
 


 
 
 

No comments: