Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Because I am in the Craftsy 2012 Block of the Month Club

Let me just start by saying I am really enjoying this BOM with Amy Gibson very much!

I have posted a few of my creations from the Craftsy Free Block of the Month Club but not all of them. And so, to make my posts up to date, I post this anthology.
from top left january to bottom right June
Missing from this mix are my two most recent creations.

First the Modern dresden. Which was very fun and easy to make. I used the easy Dresden template by Darlene Zimmerman. This bit of plastic is well worth the $10 I paid for it! I totally recommend it if you plan on doing a dresden! Fact is, I'd never attempt a dresden without one.

This template allows you to cut and stack your fabric to cut several at a time. You just move your way down the fabric turning the template this way and that to keep things all lined up!Iit took meer minutes to cut out all 20 blades to complete this block!

A quick tip I'd like to share; I am not so sure if it is on the package directions or not. This was not included in the Craftsy directions but, to speed things up, cut your fabric into the same size strips that you plan your finished blades to be.
So for this Modern Dresden my blades were to be 4 inches. I selected my fabric then cut the fabric into strips of 4 inches wide by width of fabric long.
Then using the template, I made my first cut, tossed that scrap, turned the fabric and the template the other way and cut down the row turning the template this was and that to match the "slant" of my next cut.

I did this same technique to make the second Craftsy BOM for July. This one being the Modern Dresden.

The blades on the modern are 4.5 inches.

All in all I am pleased with the success of this quilt thus far. I belive in the end we will end up with 20 squares. oh, and each square is 12.5 inches. So my math tells me this will be a good sized quilt!

I am also proud of my quilt because I put myself to the challenge and made a use up what you have on hand rule...tough going because I like to match stuff up but I am sticking to this rule.

I may be overwhelmed in the end with all the colors but who know's it may just turn out to be the cutest one yet!

It's still not too late to join the fun! Happy Sewing :)

No comments: